Saturday, June 22, 2019

Garden to Kitchen ~ Bread and Butter Pickles


I used to be a pickle snob.  I'd only eat dill pickles...Kosher dill pickles.  Anything else was trash in my opinion.  Until one day when I had some bread and butter pickles on a hamburger and my life was changed! Ever since then, I've made these sweet little gems with my home grown summer cucumbers.



Bread and Butter Pickles

4-5 cups of thinly sliced PICKLING cucumbers
1/2 of a yellow onion thinly sliced
1 cup of white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1 clove of smashed garlic
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional if you like them spicy)



Add cucumbers and onion to a quart sized canning jar.  In a saucepan over medium heat, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is almost to a boil.  
Pour mixture over cucumbers, seal, and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.  You'll want to eat these on everything!
Enjoy!

No comments: