Monday, August 17, 2020

Cucumber Salad

Our #4 son, Daniel, played in a summer baseball league. It is a little over an hour from our home, right in the heart of Houston.  We usually had time to kill before the games and we soon discovered a wonderful Mediterranean market and deli nearby.  The shopping was so fun and the food was amazing!  We started a habit of taking a picnic dinner to the ball field every week. 


Since I don’t eat carbs, my favorite thing to get was a cold cucumber salad with warm chicken shawarma sliced on top. 
Let me tell you, it is DIVINE!
 

Our season is now over and we don’t have an excuse to travel to Houston at the moment, but I still find myself craving this salad.  I set out to try to recreate it (thank you, Pinterest!), and I think I’m pretty close.  Thank goodness for a late season bumper crop of cucumbers in the garden!



MEDITERRANEAN CUCUMBER SALAD 

3 Roma tomatoes diced very small
2 English or 4 Persian cucumbers diced small
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 green bell pepper
2-3 TBS each of dill, parsley, and cilantro
1 TBS dried mint OR 1/2 cup fresh
Juice of 2 limes OR 4 TBS red wine vinegar
3 TBS EVOO

Chop all the vegetables finely and then dress with the herbs, oil, and acid.  I am not a great lover of mint, but trust me, you do not want to omit it in this salad!  Dried mint brings so much flavor to this and it makes it different from any other cucumber salad you’ve had.   
It is the perfect summer salad. 

Now If I could just figure out how to make shawarma without the giant spit oven!


No comments: