Monday, March 29, 2010

No baking powder? No problem!

It was a beautiful Saturday morning and the punks were still asleep so I thought I'd whip up some blueberry muffins with some gorgeous organic blueberries I had recently bought. I started to mix the dry ingredients and realized I was out of baking powder. I was NOT going to the store and figured there must be some way to substitute for it. After a quick look online, I found this great little tip: just use baking soda and vinegar!


Note the amount of baking powder called for in your recipe, and measure *half* that amount of baking soda. Add the baking soda to your dry ingredients, and sift as usual.

How much liquid does the recipe call for? Add one (1) teaspoon of vinegar per cup of liquid in the recipe. If the liquid is milk, I like to add the vinegar directly to the milk and let it make "buttermilk" before mixing it all together.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly, and let the batter stand for a minute before baking or cooking.


Look at that oven spring! Who says you need baking powder?
I don't need no stinking baking powder!


C'mon punks, time for breakfast!


For more great tips in the kitchen, visit Kitchen Tip Tuesdays at Tammy's blog!

4 comments:

Kalona said...

Those look delicious!

tammy l said...

Your muffins look fabulous! Thanks for sharing this tip! Would you mind linking back to Kitchen Tip Tuesdays, as well? :)

Elie said...

I was recently wondering what they use to do before baking powder. I think people had baking soda real far back in history.

Harper said...

Actually, baking powder is just 1 part baking soda and two parts cream of tartar. Cream of tartar is the acid, so you can easily sub vinegar or lemon juice for it.