Sunday, January 15, 2012

Adjustments

Well I survived my first week at work!

Thankfully it was not very busy and I could stare at photos of Mary Grace on my phone and text Doug all day long (and trust me, 12 hours away from your baby is a loooong time!).
It got me through the day.
When I came home I couldn't wait to get showered and snuggled in the bed with my girl.

I was a little surprised when someone else joined us:


I was hoping that Mary Grace had been missing me, but as soon as I had her in my arms she was out like a light! It turns out that my little Danny had been missing me instead. He climbed right into our bed and talked and giggled as he told me all about the things I had missed. He gave me full reports on everybody - even Abby!

All I've been thinking about is leaving my new baby but I left my old babies, too. I never thought once that it might be difficult for little Danny. I have spent every day for the last three months with him and now I'm suddenly gone. Sure, he's old enough to know I have to work, but he's also still little enough to want his mama around to talk, laugh, or to make him a PB&J.
I thought it was just me that was making adjustments, but we are all making them it seems. These little hearts are fragile and they are only little for so long. Yes, I know we'll all adjust in time...but for now I'm snuggling these two up tight, stroking those soft red heads, and listening to them breathe as they sleep.

Right now it's all I can do.



1 comment:

Veronica said...

Glad you made it through... what a sweet tender picture. I know that you are enjoying every moment you can. Hugs, mama!