Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Candy Roaster Squash

This year I ordered some Candy Roaster Squash seeds. This large squash is a bit of a cross between a sweet potato and a pumpkin. Fruits can grow to well over 10 pounds,
 enough to feed this motley crew!


I planted exactly FOUR seeds to grow up a chicken wire trellis.
They've grown up, over, around, and seem hell bent on world domination at this point.

Somewhere under that mass of leaves is a grill 
and my husband is not happy about that.


I used to have a small bed on the side of our back porch that was growing black eyed peas, tomatoes, and is home to a rosemary bush...


The candy roaster has decided to take over that bed as well.


I wouldn't mind pruning it back a bit, but there are more than a dozen of these beauties growing all over and I can almost taste that
candy roaster squash pie!


I know my blog posts have been sporadic, but if you don't hear from me again in a week, send in reinforcements...


The candy roaster may have overtaken us!

(I'll be the one laying on the couch with pie crumbs on my chin.)


No comments: