Monday, June 3, 2013

Elephant garlic harvest


The other day I noticed that my elephant garlic greens had turned brown and wilted.  So I asked Doug to dig up the garlic patch to see what we could find.


THIS is what we found!
14 baseball sized elephant garlic!


The cloves were bigger than my thumb, and the smell was divine.  Elephant garlic is supposed to be much milder than traditional garlic and I cannot wait to cook with it.  I might even try pickling some.


Here are some of the "babies" the bulbs left behind.  You can bet they are going right back into the garden, or out to a few friends.  Because you don't want to be the ONLY one eating garlic, am I right?



And from the size of these monsters, 
we're going to be eating LOTS of garlic
(and probably lots of Tic-Tacs, too!).

2 comments:

Kalona said...

Oooh, how wonderful! I'd love to have some baked garlic to spread on toast or crackers. Yummy!

Unknown said...

yummm, we planted elephant garlic a couple of years ago and it did great. I'll have to remember that for next year.