Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Last harvest of the summer

It's the day I've been waiting for all summer, 
the watermelon harvest!


Just four small Sugarbaby melons came from the mulch bed garden.  I've never had much luck growing melons, but this variety seemed to do well, it makes me regret not planting more!  


They are super sweet and just the right size to store in the fridge.  And perfect for a summer morning breakfast!


I'm also very excited about these birdhouse gourds and luffa!


These will be part of our homemade Christmas gifts this year.
After they dry out over the fall, Kyle and I have plans to decorate them with a wood-burning pen and then dip them in stain and high gloss polyurethane.  
They are going to be gorgeous hanging in the trees next spring!


Our luffa are going into handmade soaps, 
kind of a soap and body scrubber all-in-one!

There will be a few more pepper harvests and some eggplant, too.  They just love these long Texas summers.  
Soon work will begin to ready the garden for fall plants: cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and greens.  
Oh, and less weeding, too!  
That's my favorite part about the winter garden!

No comments: