Thursday, May 29, 2008

We call them "Squickles"


The photo doesn't really do it justice, but it is a yellow pickle! My squash plants are right next to my pickle trellis and I guess they got cross-pollinated! The result is a SQUICKLE and it's really not too bad! The flesh is firmer and less juicy than a regular cucumber, and it's yellow! The kids get a kick out of these and I think they make a nice colorful addition to a salad!


Plus, it's a great segway to discussing genetics and cross pollination in our homeschooling. But given my boy's inclinations, they'll be out in the garden making all sorts of mutants! I can see it now, waterloupes, strawchinis, and tomkras!
Hmmm...maybe they'll have a future at the Burpee Seed Company!

1 comment:

Kalona said...

ha! I like your "squickles." My youngest grandson calls pickles "pipples." I love it. :o)