Wednesday, August 3, 2011

More sewing for baby

This past weekend I found an easy (and free!) pattern for
contoured baby burp cloths online.
You can find the pattern HERE.

So I dug into my scrap pile and bought an inexpensive towel from Walmart for backing (instead of the suggested flannel).

I figured toweling would be better, cause when my babies puke, they puke BIG! Plus, when the baby out grows them they'll make great dust cloths or wash rags for Abby.

I also picked up a few large hand towels and made a couple of changing mats:

I'm not a big fan of diaper bags so I made the mats with two pockets at the bottom to hold diapers, a baggie of wipes, cell phone, keys, whatever!

And it folds up nice and compact to throw into my purse or baby sling!

Ten burp cloths and two changing mats for a grand total of $6.00.
SCORE!


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have thought of this design...Very smart of you! Sarah

Amanda Bear Photography said...

Do you have a pattern for the changing mat?

Amanda Bear Photography said...

Do you have a pattern for the changing mat?

JoAnnC. said...

No pattern. I just took a large hand towel and sewed a finished edge of fabric across and then up the middle to make two pockets. Then I cut another piece of fabric one inch larger than the towel, turned under the raw edge and ironed, then sewed onto the towel around the edges.

Anonymous said...

The changing mats are awesome! However I don't sew. Does anybody make these for sale? Thanks

Colleen said...

LOL, I'm wearing a tank that I made out of the same fabric as your changing mat!!

Anonymous said...

love to see a pattern on the changing mat. I am a visual person and really don't understand how to make one.

Thanks!

Terrie K said...

Using a towel as the backing for the burp clothes is the greatest idea. Thank you for posting.

Unknown said...

What is the actual size of the changing mat?

JoAnnC. said...

IDK the size, it's just the size of a hand towel with a one inch border around the edges. Just enough to change a little one!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great pattern. I made 3 of theese with woven cotton and terry cloth. I wish I had some when my daughters were little.

Unknown said...

I made 3 of theese with woven cotton and terry kid clothes

Unknown said...

Awesome! Why didn't I have access to such wonderful things when I had my babies; some 34 years ago? You are genius!

Unknown said...

Hi, I can't find an email address for you. I'd like to feature your blog in an article about DIY burp cloths if you're interested. My email is margiemas92 at gmail. We might already follow each other on Twitter, we have a LOT in common! @Margie10, I'll check. Hope to hear from you.

JoAnnC. said...

You can email me at agnusdeihmschl at gmail.com