Monday, February 9, 2009

When the garden gives you cabbage...

...MAKE KRAUT!

Our fall garden is almost done and I still have lots of cabbage! I went online to find some sauerkraut recipes and had no idea that the process was so simple! I got FREE food grade buckets from our local grocer (just go to their bakery and ask for their extra frosting buckets, they just throw them out!) and then all you need is cabbage, sea salt, water, and time.
Lacto-fermented vegetables are so good for you, and I love a big helping of kraut on a grilled hotdog. Can't wait to taste this!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, we did this a while back--it made some lovely, mild, sauerkraut--we canned it. NICE flavor.

GL!

Kalona said...

That was interesting. My mom told me that when she and my dad first got married, they tried making sauerkraut. After a couple of days they checked it and it was bubbling, so they thought it had gone bad and threw it out! Later, Dad's brother and his wife came by and when they told them about the "bad sauerkraut," the in-laws explained that it was supposed to do that. :o)

Maybe you should try making some kim chee, JoAnn. :o)

JoAnnC. said...

I really can't wait to see how this turns out! Maybe I WILL try to make kim chee next!

Judy said...

Let us know how it turns out! My dad use to make sauerkraut, but he never passed the recipe on to us before he died. I would love to find a recipe that was similar to his.