Friday, March 20, 2009

DO try this at home!

My scratchy throat turned into a full blown head and chest cold. I was scheduled to work so much this week that I turned to the internet to find some home remedies for fear that NyQuil would make me too sleepy the next day. I was actually looking for a mustard plaster to quell my night time cough, but came across this remedy intead...

It's a cocktail of apple cider vinegar, honey, and cayenne pepper.

Mix 2 tsp. of honey and acv with 1/2 tsp. (or less depending on your tolerance) of cayenne. Dilute with 8oz. of water and drink. It tastes horrible BUT they cayenne doesn't actually burn! You get the most pleasant warming sensation down your throat and into your chest. I felt like it just melted away all that sticky mucus and it cleared up my nasal passages. My lips and tongue did burn a bit, but it wasn't bothersome...kinda like what it feels like after eating a bite of hot salsa.

All I know is my cough is gone and I can breathe!

You must use the Bragg's acv!
It's organic and contains huge amounts of vitamins, mineral, and enzymes that processed acv takes out!

2 comments:

Saint Maker said...

Hi Joanne, how much vinegar do you use?
My grandparents used to drink a mixture of honey/vinegar daily... they lived to be very old and swore my it's folk medicine properties. Never tried it with cayenne pepper!
Peace,
Judy

JoAnnC. said...

2tsp of vinegar along with 2tsp of honey. Doug drinks the honey vinegar cocktail daily as well and swears by it! The cayenne is a natural decongestant and mucolytic. I would have never believed it unless I hadn't seen for myself how well it works!