Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Apparently, I can't tell the difference between a pecan and a pear!

We've been in our home for a little over three years. All that time I thought we had four pecan trees in our backyard. Apparently, I can't tell the difference in two totally different species of trees!
This year, one of our 'pecan' trees sprouted some small pears!

And just for the record, it wasn't just me!
Doug also thought it was a pecan tree!
He even thought about cutting it down because we thought it was dead when the other trees were in full foliage and that lone little tree was not. Little did we know that it was just dormant until spring....like all pear trees!

Yeah, we're special that way.

So now I'm all giddy with excitement about this new, fully mature tree we have! It only produced a handfull of really hard yucky fruit. Once I figure out what type of pear it is and how to properly feed and care for it, I expect to harvest baskets full of lovely pears for preserves, deserts, and eating right off the tree!

Until then, the boys are enjoying them as projectiles (along with pecans)
in their daily war games in the backyard.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

They are...throwing pecans? Sniffle. We have two tiny little pecan trees on the east side of our place. TINY little things. Will take til I'm in my 50s to produce anything,I'm thinking. Okay, well, maybe just til DH is in *his* fifties (that's an almost ten year difference)...

But I'm wishing I had some pecans to pick up...and crack open. And eat a few nibbles of while I get the rest into the freezer...sniffle.

Lucky! :-)