Monday, November 8, 2010

Fall garden update

Our fall garden is doing surprisingly well despite all the neglect!
This is the little jewel of the garden, it's one of a whopping two lemons on my Meyer lemon tree. A Meyer lemon is a hybrid between a lemon and orange tree. The lemons are not as tart a traditional lemons and are supposed to be delicious. I have a gallon pitcher of sweet tea with this one's name written all over it! I'm hoping for a more bountiful production next year and would like to make some lemon curd for the holidays.
Here's my brassica patch.
Cabbage, broccoli, and brussell spouts...


And the greens patch with collards, kale, and kohlrabi that is just now sprouting.

The leeks and spinach are doing well. Leeks grow extremely slow! We won't be able to harvest these until the spring.

Then there's the lettuce patch (that I've had to replant TWICE...don't ask!), swiss chard, bok choi, chives, and turnips.

This year JP and Dan have really enjoyed picking pecans and we've got a whole bucket load to shell for holiday baking!

I really love fall gardening! The garden pretty much takes care of itself with only a little weeding and watering needed. Bugs are at a minimum as well. I feel so thankful to live here in south Texas and enjoy year round gardening...our food budget and my mental health enjoy it too!

No comments: