Monday, December 12, 2011

My poor neglected garden!

My poor, sad little garden has been neglected for quite some time now. I initially turned my back on it about four months into my pregnancy. Some how stooping, weeding, and sweating just wasn't appealing back then. Also, we had one of the hottest, driest summers ever last summer here in Texas and most plant life took a beating. So I just ignored my little garden boxes while my attentions went to our new baby....and trying to stay cool!

I ventured out to the garden today to check on the sad state of things only to discover that a little neglect might be a good thing. Here are dried up eggplant and pepper plants amongst thriving red onions!

And even more onions among the weeds!

The turnip seeds I scattered a few weeks ago need thinning...BAD!
I hadn't even realized they spouted because we've had one day of rain and several nights of freezing temps.

Even the swiss chard spouted and is growing.

The garlic JP planted is just now sprouting and should do just fine over the winter. We'll cover the bed with leaves and straw and harvest the garlic in the spring.

I think I'd like to spend a day tending to the garden and getting it ready to "put to bed" for the winter. I miss not being in the garden, but it will have to wait until next spring to get any more attention from me.

I sure wish the kids and house could stand a little neglect like the garden, 'cause just for one day I'd like to get "put to bed" for a bit and take a long nap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could come baby, kid and house sit. all I ask is that I get to hold Mary Grace as much as I want.
By the way, there WILL come a day when you'll have all the time you need for garden, house, reading and napping. Trust me. Nancy

JoAnnC. said...

Three words for you, Aunt Nancy: COME ON DOWN!!!