Thursday, October 4, 2012

A birthday party on the cheap

Mary Grace will be turning one in a little over a week. We always have a big first birthday party, but with finances so tight, I was beginning to rethink that idea. 

 Thank goodness for Pinterest!

After a visit to the thrift store, I was able to make two cake stands for a little less than eight dollars.

I found these two sweet plates for a steal at .75 each. They are nice, big, sturdy, and best of all vintage.  I used a candle holder for the base of one and a candy dish for the base of the other.  I glued them together using E-6000 epoxy.


After the glue dried, I spray painted them upside down with a matching yellow.


I also came across some additional fabric at the thrift store and made yards and YARDS of bunting to hang everywhere.  I used up most of my fabric stash for the bias tape and bunting and made out like a bandit ~ $3.00 for over 30 yards!  I don't think you could by streamers for that price.

 I'm not big on "themes" but I'm definitely sensing a vintage feel for this party.


Old plates and vintage fabrics...why not!
Mary Grace IS my daughter, 
surely she'll love them as much as I do!

More party projects to come, stay tuned.

No comments: