Thursday, June 8, 2017

Strawberry Fig Jam

When I was a child, we had a huge fig tree in our backyard.
I remember back then eating strawberry fig jam,
and I remember it was delicious!


My folks passed away.
I moved far, far away.
Life happened.
I never even thought of that strawberry fig jam again until about ten years ago when we moved to our current house.  Back then, we had a huge fig tree just like the one from my childhood home.  Memories came rushing back and I made my first batch of jam that summer with my own figs.

It tasted like home.


That fig tree was destroyed when we had some work done on our house.  I was devastated but planted another one as soon as I could.  It died, so I planted another one.  
It died, too.
Turns out I don't have such a green thumb 
when it comes to fig trees!


Today I was gifted with a box of beautifully ripe, sweet figs 
from an even sweeter friend.

Can you guess what I did with them?


STRAWBERRY FIG JAM

6 cups of mashed figs
4 cups sugar
2 boxes of strawberry jello

Clean and cut the tops off of your figs.  Mash to your desired consistency and measure out 6 cups.  Combine figs, sugar, and jello in a large pot.  Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Pack into sterile jars and process per your preference.

Note:  I had 8 full cups of mashed figs and used the same amount of sugar and jello.  It came out to exactly 12 half pints
and tasted just as good!




No comments: