Monday, October 30, 2023

Pecan Season

Here we are at the end of October and quite possibly the BEST pecan season we've ever had!  
I have three large pecan trees in my backyard and despite record high temps and a drought this summer, these trees have pumped out 
pounds and pounds of pecans.


And not just regular pecans, 
these babies are full and buttery.  
Literally the best harvest we've ever had!


And every October, me and Abby are in the backyard harvesting these beauties.  Abby has an un-natural love of pecans (or any nut for that matter).  Some years she'd eat the shells and all!  But most days we'd sit together and I'd shell half a dozen or so for her.


But this year is a little different.  
Abby is going on 15 years old, and the poor girl is feeling it.  She still goes outside with me to harvest pecans, and I still feed her as many as I can crack by hand.  

Maybe the trees know, too, that this is Abby's last pecan season.  Maybe that's why they're extra good this year.


And you can be sure that I'll bloody my fingers shelling them to make sure she gets her fill.


No comments: