Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A different kind of garden

It's no secret that I love my vegetable garden, but flower gardening is a whole different world to me. If it weren't for the dummy proof Knock Out Roses that are scattered throughout the yards then I wouldn't have ANY flowers at all!
Well, I've decided to change all of that!
A very wise woman (who I've never met in real life but would hug her to death if I ever did!) suggested that I plant a tree to help me memorialize our most recent loss. I don't have space for any more trees, but I did have a little plot of tilled flower bed that was looking pretty shabby. I though that I might make a memorial garden for all our lost babies...

It's still a work in progress, but it is started and real and I love it.
Working on this little garden has been a labor of love. I can't wait to fill it with all sorts of beautiful flowering plants. In days to come, we will be working on memorial stones like the one below. The children made this one when we suffered our first loss, baby Michael:

I also went out and bought four rose bushes for our four babies in Heaven. Not Knock Out Roses, but REAL roses! I bought the most fragrant varieties I could find and I'm going to work very hard to keep them alive and growing. I figured out the whole vegetable growing thing on my own, now there is no reason I can't flower garden, too!

Maybe for Mother's Day Doug will buy me some pretty pavers to line the garden border (hint, hint!) this girl doesn't need jewelry....and the only flowers I want are ones I can put in the ground!
Thank you dearest Marti for the inspiration to do this. Something like this honestly never crossed my mind and I'm not sure it would have without your loving suggestion. Every time I'm in this garden I'll think of you and be assured of an Ave for your intentions. Thank you for thinking of me and my babies...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You know, this last time, I thought about sending you a rosebush...but was advised against it at the time..and not wanting to upset you...

However, if you would like some iris roots, I would be honored to send them your way, for this "project"...I've got a few...