Friday, October 29, 2010

Meatless Fridays AND Finishing projects week!

This week you're getting a two-fer! I'm combining my Meatless Fridays post with projects I'm trying to finish before getting back to work full time. This week's meal is distinctly Texan, we LOVE our breakfast tacos! I especially love them with a nice spicy chorizo, but since this is a meatless post, this week's Meatless Friday meal is:

Egg and Potato "Breakfast" Tacos

1 1/2 dozen eggs
1 bag of frozen hash browns
Thinly sliced onion and bell pepper
2 cups of shredded cheese
24 flour tortillas

Defrost hash browns in the microwave until just tender. While hash browns are defrosting, saute onions and peppers (in olive oil or butter) until caramelized and set aside. Add hash browns to a frying pan and cook until crispy. Set aside. Then scramble all the eggs. Using a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, peppers, hash browns, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Fill tortillas with egg mixture and serve with salsa.

You may be wondering WHY I'm using such large quantities of ingredients, well, that takes me to the second half of my post. I'm stocking the freezer with quick meals and snacks for Doug and the boys since I'll be at work most of the week.

This recipe will be used this weekend to make breakfast tacos for the freezer. Fill the tortillas with egg mixture, wrap up in waxed paper, then store in large gallon sized Ziplock freezer bags. To eat just microwave for one minute.

The boys can easily heat a taco for breakfast or a snack. I'm also going to make a large batch of muffins...maybe pumpkin chocolate chip! The crock pot will be working over time on chili, soups, and other goodies so that Doug doesn't have to cook for the kids and I'll feel better knowing they're eating a wholesome hot meal instead of cold cereal and sandwiches!


No comments: