Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A new garden project!

Like I need another project while parenting five kids and working full time, but here it is, our medicinal herb garden!

I know it doesn't look like much right now, but that's changing this week! Doug and Kyle got some stones to define the garden and we laid down tons of wet newspapers to snuff out the grass. It all gets a big helping of soil and compost and soon I will be ready to plant.

In peat pots all over my laundry room are seedlings, LOTS of seedlings! Ever since discovering medicinal herbs three years ago, I have developed a "wish list" of plants that I want to grow. Unfortunately, that list keeps getting longer and longer!

Hopefully by mid summer that little plot on the side of our house will be filled with wonderful holistic remedies for our various ills. I can't wait to make tinctures, teas, poultice, and salves with:

Arnica, Motherwort, Evening Primrose, Mullein, All Heal, Feverfew, Boneset, Echinacea, Plantain, and Cowslip.

And if you're feeling a little under the weather and in need of healing, come have a glass of water kefir and some organic herbs with the
Crazy Herb Lady of Wharton!


(Hmmm...sounds like a great name for a new blog!)

4 comments:

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

This is a very cool idea for a theme garden, and I bet those herbs will appreciate the snug place that you are going to create for them in that new bed--nice!

Anonymous said...

Hi ! JoAnn, could you tell us where you purchase medical herbs? Are there catalogs for such seeds? I am pretty new to all of this but have read many of your older posts about your concoctions!! It is intriguing... :) :) Sarah

JoAnnC. said...

I get my seeds from Richter's online. They have a wonderful catalog that gives a small snippet about the different herbs then you can launch your own research from there.

The Prudent Homemaker said...

What an excellent herb garden!