Friday, January 31, 2020

Garden to Kitchen

Y’all, I have kale coming out of my ears!
I planted three varieties in an 4x8 raised bed, and it is overflowing! Not a bad problem to have, I guess, but I seriously hate to waste anything out of the garden...it makes me feel so guilty. 

The other day I was scrolling through Pinterest and a recipe for kale pesto popped up. Kale pesto?  I thought pesto was only made with basil!  I had everything for the recipe, so I made a batch. 


It was DELICIOUS!
So I decided to make several batches for the freezer to enjoy until the summer basil is ready to harvest. 


KALE PESTO

3-4 cups of kale, stems removed
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of roasted and salted almonds
1tsp of dried basil
3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
Olive oil

Place ingredients in a food processor, pulse, and drizzle in olive oil until you reach the consistency you like. Optional: season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.


I spooned the basil into ice cube trays, placed them in the freezer for a couple of hours, popped them out and put them in a freezer zip lock bag for storage.
They are like a flavor bomb for pasta, garlic bread, soups, and salad dressings. 
And a great way to preserve the harvest so I don’t feel so guilty. 
But next year, I don’t think I’ll plant so much kale!

No comments: