Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sunflowers

I LOVE sunflowers! 

Every year since we moved here I've bought a few simple seed packets from Walmart and John Paul and Daniel have had fun planting them and watching them grow.  After the growing season, we put the seed heads out for the birds to enjoy.  It's always amazing how that tiny seed can produce such a huge plant and then go on to produce so many more seeds!
Danny in 2009 by his sunflower garden
This year I bought six different varieties of heirloom sunflower seeds from my favorite company, Baker Creek Seed Co.:

                                                 ARIKARA






I have some fun projects in mind, thanks to Pinterest!  And you can bet we won't be letting the birds have ALL the seeds, I want to save some to propagate again next year!




No comments: