Monday, May 22, 2023

Growing Medicine

Not only am I growing vegetables and flowers in my garden, I'm also growing MEDICINE. 
 
Medicinal herbs, that is.

My favorite by far is Holy Basil.
I've been drinking it in tea daily, but I want to make it into a tincture to last through the winter months when I can't grow basils.

Tinctures are liquid, highly concentrated herbal extracts made by soaking herbs in alcohol, vegetable glycerin, or oil.


To make Holy Basil tincture:
Rough chop enough Holy Basil to fill a jar 3/4 full.
Pour (at least 80 proof) vodka, gin, or brandy over the herb to cover.
Cap, label, and set in a dark/cool place 
for six to eight weeks.  
Shake mixture up every now and then.


At the end of your six-ish weeks, strain out the plant matter and decant into dark glass 
dropper bottles.
Take 10-20 drops in a glass of water daily.

Holy Basil has compounds that alleviate anxiety and depression, increase mental clarity, help to decrease age related memory loss, and fight inflammation in the body.

All of that goodness and healing,
just growing right outside of my back porch!



No comments: