Friday, May 26, 2023

Summer Time Means Salsa Time!

I am a tomato nerd, I admit it and I'm not ashamed!
Who wants to grow plain red, round tomatoes when you can grow every color and flavor profile?  
I currently have 2-3 plants each of 15 different varieties, and when I say my bacon tomato sandwiches are a religious experience...
I MEAN IT!
But when those first fruits start filling up my kitchen island, my family wants salsa.
And I make it for them.
By the GALLONS!
No, literally, gallons.


I've shared how I make my salsa 
on this platform before.
There is no unit of measurement except 
a pizza pan and your heart.
Everything comes from my summer garden except the spices, and we eat it on absolutely everything!


#CreamerGarden Salsa

On a large pizza pan:
3/4 full of ripe heirloom tomatoes
1/4 full peppers, any kind, 
but we like bell and jalapeno
1/4 full of onion
and as many garlic cloves 
as your heart tells you to add.

Place pan under the broiler until skins 
of vegetables are wrinkled and blackened.
Peel skins off of tomatoes and chop to desired consistency in your food processor.

With the tomatoes I also add:
 1/2 large raw red onion
a large handful of cilantro, stems and all.
Salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, a healthy squeeze of lime juice, and Mexican oregano...
 as much as your heart tells you to add.

Pour into jars and enjoy on 
EVERYTHING!


Happy Summer and check out all the things growing in my garden at
#CreamerGarden on Instagram


No comments: