Sunday, August 10, 2008

OMG!

I was blog browsing the other day and found this INCREDIBLE bread that I just had to try: Hearty Spinach and Feta Cheese Bread. We had paninis tonight for dinner and thought this would be the perfect time to try it out.
You must, must, MUST get the spinach dry! After defrosting, I placed the spinach in a kitchen towel and twisted it to wring out the liquid. Save that liquid for the bread! It's also a little wetter dough than I am used to, but after 4 to 5 minutes of kneading, it all came together.

After the initial rising, I formed it into loaves which rose very quickly on the counter:

Resist the temptation to cut this straight out of the oven! As it cools, it steams the crust into a nice chewy texture. Check out this crumb:

It IS hearty and has a nice spinach flavor. You get a little bit of that salty feta in each bite as well. It made for the perfect panini!

The little ones didn't even realize they were eating spinach...and I'm not going to tell them!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice bread! Yes, I agree - this is the perfect sandwich bread although I haven't tried making paninis with it yet. Thanks for the great tip!