Monday, August 18, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


This week's menu plan revolves around Nourishing Traditions menus on a budget! I've been put on call so much at work that we're going to have to tighten our belts around here a bit. I sat down and tried to figure up my most inexpensive meals without sacrificing the nutrition and whole foods aspects - I even calculated the cost per serving (yeah, I nerdy that way!) I also plan on making a bit more than just the dinner meal. If we have enough for leftovers the next day it makes my planning more cost efficient!

Monday: Lentil tacos on homemade whole wheat tortillas. Garnish with fresh pico de gallo (all from the garden, thankfully!), lettuce and kefir sour cream (which was already made from this weekend.) Cost per serving is .48!

Tuesday: Grilled burgers. I have a pound of grass fed beef in the freezer, but a pound won't feed my whole bunch so I'm going to mix in brown rice to make that meat stretch! Will garnish with leftover pico de gallo and lettuce from Monday and serve on whole wheat buns (not homemade). Served with baked potato wedges. Cost per serving is 1.50 - sounds expensive, but in reality the whole meal is under eight bucks!

Wednesday: Whole wheat spaghetti with the last of my homemade maranara from the freezer. Will serve with homemade bread and garlic butter. Cost per serving is .35!

Thursday: 15 Bean soup with homemade bread. Cost per serving is .33

Friday: Spinach Frittata with fruit. Cost per serving is .93

Saturday: Homemade pizza. Cost per serving is .87

Sunday: BLAT wraps. BLAT is bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato. Served on homemade whole wheat tortillas with fruit on the side. Cost per serving is .75

For more information on nourishing frugal eating check out these links:

Your Family Could be Eating Organic Food for the Same Price as Processed Foods -- or Less

12 Foods You Don't Have to Buy Organic

12 Tips For Squeezing Nutrient Rich Food From Your Dollar

2 comments:

Veronica said...

We've been trying to be more frugal and yet stick with whole foods too...you have a great menu there!

Linda said...

Thank you SOO much for the links and the menu plan. I have had a very hard time sticking to what I know is right for the family and not going to debt with groceries. I'm not very organized; I appreciate your hard work.