Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dutch Baby and Vanilla Syrup

I had plans to make pancakes this weekend for breakfast but soon found out that after I had assembled all my ingredients that I had run out of maple syrup. I was NOT going to get dressed and run to the store so I looked online for a quick syrup recipe. I found out that it is really easy to make your own ! I also found a recipe for this fabulous oven pancake called a Dutch Baby. It looked so much more easy that standing over a hot griddle flipping pancakes and I decided to give it a try...we were not disappointed!

Dutch Baby

3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

(I doubled this recipe for our family of six and cooked it in a 12" cast iron skillet.)

Fifteen minutes before baking preheat the oven to 425°. Put the butter in an 8 inch oven-proof skillet. Place in the oven until the butter is melted. Swirl around to coat the sides.

Whisk together the milk, flour, eggs, sugar and vanilla; Slowly pour batter into hot pan; bake for 15 minutes ~ reduce heat to 350° and bake another 8-10 minutes until pancake is well-browned.



Vanilla Syrup

3 cups sugar
(I used 2 cups white/1 cup brown for a bit more caramel flavor)
3 cups water
1 vanilla bean cut in half lengthwise with seeds scraped out and added to sugar/water mixture.

Combine all ingredients and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring mixture to a rolling boil then reduce heat to a steady slow boil. Cook for 15-30 minutes stirring frequently. To check consistency of syrup, spoon a small amount onto a plate and allow to cool for a few seconds. When you reach your desired consistency, syrup is done!

JP says this was the best breakfast EVER!


5 comments:

jj said...

I must try this. Seems really nice!

//Joakim

Leslie said...

I LOVE Dutch Babies! We get them at The Original Pancake House restaurant. I'll have to try homemade sometime!

We always eat them with strawberries... at the restaurant they set them up a certain way: melt a big gob of butter in the hot pancake, squirt in lemon juice from a couple of wedges, add powdered sugar, sliced strawberries, and sweetened strawberry puree. HEAVEN.

Therese said...

we have made syrup a couple of times with brown sugar and water. The children love it.

The Creamer Family said...

This looks so good. I'm making it this weekend!

JoAnnC. said...

It is soooo gooood! Make sure to eat it hot right out of the oven! Makes the house smell like sugar cookies!