Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Vanilla

Inspired by my neighbor's gift of homemade vanilla, I decided that it was something that I wanted to try myself! I ordered my organic grade A beans from amazon.com for a great price (I got 45 pods for what it would have cost me to buy 10 at Whole Foods!)

After sending Doug on a liquor store run, I just split the beans and popped them right into the bottle for a six month soak. In December I'll pour the extract into pretty decanters for Christmas gifts.


Also on my homemade Christmas gift list is
vanilla sugar scrub and vanilla soap.
(and don't tell Doug that I plan on making him dozens upon dozens of
homemade Nilla Waffers! )

8 comments:

Rachel said...

How much were the pods, JoAnn? Obviously, I can get the alcohol here, but no pods...

JoAnnC. said...

You can go to amazon.com (or click the link in the post) and type in "vanilla beans" into the search for tons of grades, quantities, and organic or not. I got 45 beans, grade A, and organic for 19 bucks plus shipping! The beans were nice and moist and FULL of those tiny vanilla seeds...smells incredible! At the stores, they go for 2-5 bucks A BEAN!

Rachel said...

WOW! That *is* a great deal....I'll have to look into that...

The Creamer Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoAnnC. said...

The other recipes on the net say 2 pods per cup of vodka. There are 7 cups in my 1.75 liter bottle so I put 14.
Awesome, another Creamer Chronicles! I'd love to check it out!

The Creamer Family said...

Great! Thank you!

Just shoot me an e-mail, and I'll send you our link.

JoAnnC. said...

ACK! You removed your post before I jotted down your email! That's ok, I got to your link via your Blogger profile page.

The Creamer Family said...

Sorry, it's mommacreamer@comcast.net. I was trying to add to the post and ended up removing it. Do you mind if I use some of your recipes on my blog (giving you credit, of course)? I'm anxious to try the apple pumpkin butter.