Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Best muffins ever!

I love making a big breakfast for the boys when I'm off. Nothing is better than them walking sleepily into the kitchen to give me a warm hug to start the day!
I've had this basic muffin recipe for a while (credit due to www.allrecipes.com) and it is very versatile. You can add anything to this basic recipe and it always turns out good! Here is the basic recipe for 12 regular sized muffins:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
2. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups (I never use muffin liners, just spray muffin tins with Pam.) Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.

For a week now I've been trying to eat healthier. I decided to start by switching to whole grains instead of bleached flours (and by just changing that one factor alone, I've lost three pounds this week!) so I decided to see if I could change my muffin recipe, too. It worked!
Here's the re-vamped recipe:

1 cup whole wheat flour (I use graham flour)
1 cup unbleached white flour (You can use 2C. of whole wheat, but the muffins are very dense!)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup raw sugar, molasses or honey (whichever I happen to have on hand!)
1 egg
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil or apple sauce
I also add:
1/3 cup of ground flax seeds
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 tsp. vanilla

This is the basic recipe all "fiber-ed" up and you can still add anything to it! This morning, I made these with blueberries, bananas and sliced almonds. The smell was wonderful and the boys made their way to the kitchen one by one with their sleepy little bed heads! These "experts" say my re-vamped recipe is better than the old one! Try it and see if you think the same!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket