Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Making your own relish


I love a good relish on a hot dog or sandwich!

Every Friday we make tuna salad for lunch and I just happened to look at the ingredients on the jar of relish...HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP was on the label!
Really? Why the need to put that crap in relish?
So I had a thought about chopping up some of my lactofermented bread and butter pickles to use instead.

I wish I had thought of it sooner! This relish was awesome!

The relish tasted very fresh and added great flavor to the tuna because of the honey/vinegar/onion combo in it. It was a great way to sneak in probiotics and remove another avenue of HFCS into our diets.
If you've made some bread & butter pickles this year with your excess cukes, I highly recommend running them through the processor for your own relish. If not, run down to your local farmer's market for cucumbers and local honey and make a batch or twelve today!

Here's the recipe for a wonderful lactofermented b&b pickle/relish....
your gut will thank you!

No comments: