Monday, August 17, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

My weekend went waaaayyy too fast! I haven't done any shoppin or planning for this week's meals! I'm so thankful for the summer harvest in our freezer. This week's meals are all about using up freezer and pantry surplus!

Monday: Spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce and artisan bread. I'll just put out the freezer packs of squash and sauce to defrost, and make a quick batch of artisan bread for the fridge before going to work. Doug can heat all of this up with a little parm. cheese and pull off a hunk of dough for bread about an hour before I get home!

Tuesday: Roasted chicken and wild rice. I buy whole roaster chickens when on sale and put them in the freezer. I'll season two of them before heading out to work and Doug can pop them in the oven during the day. I have some packages of wild rice (also on sale) in the pantry that we'll cook up with some organic chicken stock.

Wednesday: Black eyed peas and corn bread. I ALWAYS have a surplus of dried beans on hand! I'll soak these the night before and put them in the crock pot with a ham hock from the freezer.

Thursday: Breakfast for dinner. We have too many eggs in the fridge that need to be used up! I'll scramble them up and make some fluffy homemade biscuits and serve with homemade fig preserves.

Friday: Split pea soup. Again, lots of dried beans and peas in the pantry! I have a nice pack of split peas that can cook in the crock all day long. Will serve with artisan bread and butter.

Saturday: I think we'll order pizza and rent a movie for the kids and Doug and I will go on a date! It will be a busy week and we deserve a little time for just us!

Sunday: Baked potato bar. I have some large baking potatoes in the pantry that need to be used up. Will top with butter, cheese, and keifer sour cream...and whatever else we can find in the fridge!

You know, looking back over this I realize that I won't have to do any shopping this week! It pays to stock up when you find sales!


No comments: