Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sunflowers


They are a thing of beauty, aren't they?

I LOVE growing sunflowers in the summer time!
I especially love the gigantic Mammoth variety of sunflower. The stalks grow over 12 feet tall and have magnificent blooms that attract ladybugs and other beneficials to the garden. I let my seed heads dry on the stalks this year and I absolutely luuuurrrrvvvve how they turned out!

I'm thinking of taking some and making a dried arrangement for the house.
The others will get strung up with wire and hung from trees or laid out on picnic/patio tables for our sweet cardinals and rotten birdfeed stealing squirrels to enjoy.

There will be time for all of that later...

...because right now I'm going to have a cup of tea and enjoy the last fruits of summer.

No comments: