Friday, August 28, 2009

Planning for the Fall

I will be spending a portion of this weekend planning and planting some of our fall/winter garden. Some seeds like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, and broccoli do better when started indoors first (just my humble opinion!) If I can time it just right, I'll be ready to plant my seedlings into the garden mid-October just as the weather starts to cool off significantly.

In addition to the above mentioned, on the menu for the fall garden:
swiss chard - 2 varieties
sweet peas
sugar snap peas
carrots
green onions
parsnips
turnips
green onion
lettuce - 4 varieties

I cannot tell you how nice it was to clip fresh salad greens from the garden last winter! I've GOT to find a heat resistant variety to grow during the summer when we have lots of cukes and tomatoes.
I'll be freezing much of what the garden produces to eat during the spring and summer.
I really love winter gardening here in south Texas. The winter is very mild and if a rare freeze is forecast, we just cover everything up with hay! Best of all....NO WEEDING and NO BUGS!
Fall gardens down south can take a lot of neglect, which is right up my alley right now between working and family!

No comments: