Thursday, January 15, 2009

A must for the pantry

One of the first things I did when I decided to overhaul our diets was add ground flax seed and raw wheat germ to our pantry staples. I initially added it to boost the levels of omega-3 fatty acids in Ryan and JP's diet (studies show that diets high in omega-3's help children with ADHD function better.) And now I put them in just about everything I make to benefit the whole family.

These two superfoods can be easily incorporated into just about any meal or snack. I sneak them into yogurt, homemade breads and tortillas, muffins, smoothies, soups, dinners such as meatloaf or spaghetti sauce, or sprinkle on salads, their use is really endless!
Here I'm putting them into our morning breakfast-pancakes (it makes me feel better about letting them eat all that syrup!). When mixing them into a recipe, I usually add 2T. of ground flax and 1/3 cup or less of raw wheat germ. You can't tell a difference by taste, but your body can definitely tell nutritionally!

Flax seed and wheat germ have been shown to:
Lower blood cholesterol levels, lower high blood pressure, increase energy, vitality, and stamina, increase sense of calmness under stress, reduce threat of blood clots, protect against cancers, particularly hormone sensitive cancers such as breast and prostate, better regulation of blood sugar levels, eases inflammatory tissue conditions, including arthritis, alleviation of dry skin, eczema and psoriasis, enhanced immune system, helps with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), is a natural laxative, and the list goes on...

You can find ground flax and raw wheat germ at just about any grocery store these days at a pretty good price. Be sure to store them in the freezer once opened because they can go rancid.


5 comments:

Linda said...

Those look soooo yummy. What's your recipe? I have a few, but we like pancakes, so a new one would be appriciated.

JoAnnC. said...

Here's my standard (from www.allrecipes.com)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil -I use coconut
2 cups buttermilk -I rarely have buttermilk so I usually use any combo of reg. milk and keifer or a flavored yogurt.
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
2T. ground flax
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour -again, never have it and didn't know what it was! I use 1cup of unbleached white and whatever whole grain or sprouted flour I have on hand.

This is a good basic recipe because you can mix anything into it. Also, if you use a flavored yogurt, they are sweet enough to eat plain (which is good for a morning on the GO!)

I use this recipe for waffles, can also be used for pancakes:
http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breakfasts/blenderbatterwaffles/blenderbatterwafflesA.htm

MentalMom said...

I like the flavor buttermilk imparts but don't want to keep it on hand. I buy dehydrated buttermilk in the baking aisle.
It's called Saco Buttermilk Blend and is a short, fat orangish canister with a chef in blue on the front. It is about $2.99 and lasts a long time.
Supposedly King Arthur's white wheat is close to whole wheat pastry flour.

JoAnnC. said...

Dehydrated buttermilk? Now I've heard it all! I've been wanting to try that white wheat. I think I'll pick up a bag next time I go to the store.

Linda said...

I keep the wheat pastry flour on hand (bulk at Central Market). There is no substitute for it for cookies, especially peanut butter cookies!
Thanks for the recipe.