Sunday, September 7, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


I've been scouring the internet for interesting meals for this week. I'm slowly trying to introduce new foods to the kids and broaden their pallets beyond simple mac & cheese! We are trying to stay away from processed foods and are still making most things from scratch...and the kids are getting better at not begging me bags of Funions or Doritos every time we go to the store. They just know it's not going to happen! I haven't had a Dr. Pepper (or ANY caffeine) in three months...I've even forgotten what they taste like! I know we are all the better for it! So we'll see how they react to this week's meal plan (last week's plan was a real success!)

Monday: Black Bean Burgers. I thought it was interesting and I'm sure the kids will get a kick out of them (they've never had a "veggie" burger before!) I'll put a bag of black beans on to soak Sunday night and cook them Monday morning. We'll use whole wheat buns from the store and I'll make a corn relish with bagged frozen corn.

Tuesday: Rosemary Hash Browns with Scrambled Eggs. We'll make our own hash browns from shredded potatoes (a good job for the kids!) and use yard eggs from our local butcher.

Wednesday: Blackened Chicken with Avocado Salad.

Thursday: Fennel and Chicken Flatbread served with a salad. I'll make some whole wheat pitas that morning. Fennel will be a new flavor around here, not sure how Doug and the kids will like it!

Friday: Fish Tacos with homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas. Doug will grill up some marinated tilapia and I'll serve it with a fresh pico de gallo. The kids really love these!

Saturday: Tomato & Olive Stuffed Portobello Caps. Will serve with whole wheat couscous. I'm hoping Doug won't mind grilling these, they sound really good! I think I'll top them with goat cheese instead of the mozzarella.

Sunday: 10 Grain Pancakes with scrambled eggs.

For hundreds (literally!) of awesome meal plans, check out Orgjunkie.com

...and if you're up for a little "food for thought" check out this interesting table by the NYT on how our diets have changed from the 1970's until now!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Portabellos have strong flavor; the goat cheese might be too much. I like mozzarella with the ports.

that's just me
Linda

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

The menu looks delicious, and your "I hope not" button is hilarious.

Jenna said...

What a great menu plan, I am so jealous! I looked at your husband's website and it seems like we are neighbors! Great blog.

Aisling said...

the fennel chicken flatbread sounds gorgeous.

Mandy said...

You whole menu sounds great. We love fennel in our home. Oh, and I'm dying to try your whole wheat tortillas.